<  Jewelry, Hair & Beauty  ~  Should I wear my hair straight with this Gown?
transferred_files
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:29 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

I have a Dimond White, off-the-shoulder (at shoulder point's actually) gown with a dropped waist, sweep train and a bodice that has pearl and crystal work alone waist and neck line, scoop neck...I have a three tier cathedral length detachable veil with edges encrusted in the same crystal and pearls...now her is my question, I want to leave my hear down-to remain true to my own image. I have dark brown, one-length, waist length hair....Straight.
Do you think this works?

transferred_files
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:30 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

I think that wearing your hair down for the ceremony would look lovely, and I often recommend that brides consider wearing their hair in a similar way to their day to day style. For a woman who always wears their hair the same way, it sometimes feels really unnatural to wear it in a different style on their wedding day. So if that's your preference, do wear it down. It's sad when a
bride looks back at her wedding portraits and feels it's not quite "her" -- for whatever reason.

The only concern I would have, at all-- and it's probably quite easy to handle-- would be the look you get at the reception when, I assume, you'll detach the cathedral length veiling. (A longer than hip-length veil can be
awkward to handle through reception, hugging, dancing, dinner, etc.)

If I were designing a veil for you, I'd make the layers in appropriate lengths to either remove the cathedral veil and leave a hip-length veil to cover your hair and a shorter length veil over that, leave only one veil much shorter
than your hair (a "fly-away" length veil), or remove all three veils so you wear only the headpiece during the reception.

Since you are working with an existing veil, you'll need to decide what combination of the two shorter veils would be most attractive. If the middle length veil doesn't cover your hair all the way, it *may* look odd worn without the cathedral veil. Usually you want the veil to be a little longer than any important dress/personal feature (in this case, your lovely hair), or much shorter, so that it looks like it was *planned* to be the length that it is.

What you might want to do is have either the middle, and/or both other length veils made removeable, too. I don't know if your headpiece (which you didn't describe) would be wearable without a veil. Sometimes if it isn't quite right
to wear alone, you can have beading or something added to *make* it work by itself for the reception.

At any rate, take the time to look at those other two veil layers to see what your *best* look will be, post-ceremony. But overall, it sounds like wearing your hair down will be appropriate and very attractive on you.

Wishing you all the best for your wedding, and a long and happy marriage--

Foreverwed.com Expert-- Sara L. Ambarian
custom bridal designer/ creative consultant/
author of "A Bride's Touch: A Handbook of Wedding Personality and Inspiration"
ambarian@frazmtn.com
More wedding information at:
http://www.frazmtn.com/~ambarian

transferred_files
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:30 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

To know if your hair will work down, instead of up, I would have to know how your veil attaches to your head. Many veils need something to anchor to (those with a comb), usually a mass of curls on the back of your head. For straight hair, a veil with a head band is usually best.

Try working with the veil and see if it can be secured with all of your hair down. If not, you might ask your hairdresser to create a hair style with a portion of your hair in a mass of curls at the back, then leave the rest hanging straight. That would combine the two styles (up and down) and provide something to anchor the veil to.
Glenna Tooman

Memory Makers Event Planning LLC
ForeverWed.com Wedding Expert
http://www.foreverwed.com
http://www.memorable-events.com

-----
Glenna Tooman, Wedding Expert, ForeverWed.com
Memory Makers Event Planning, LLC
http://www.memorable-events.com