<  Traditions, Cultures & Customs  ~  Cake Cutting
Glenna_T
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:32 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

At a wedding where food is served, the cake is usually cut after the meal. The DJ or band leader will direct the guests' attention to the cake table and you and the groom will cut the cake. I have never seen anyone sing to the couple during the cake cutting; that is not what usually happens. You cut the cake and feed each other a small bite, using your fingers or forks as you prefer. Then, you can either have toasts or do your first dances. Once you move away from the cake table, the people who are designated to cut the cake will do so and either serve it to guests or leave it on the cake table for guests to serve themselves. The guests will be watching you while you cut it. That is tradition and guests enjoy it. About the only time that the cake is cut privately is if there is a problem with the cake, such as it is about to fall over and needs to be cut quickly so you can get photos.
DJ Iron Mike
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

One of the things I have seen is a groom cake. Normally you don't see these that often, but what they are, is a seperate cake, usually done like a birthday cake with something representative of the Groom's personality. I have seen thes used for kids at the reception where the regular cake might be too sweet for the kids, so they get a piece of this cake instead. One I saw was decorated to be a pick-up truck which represented the Groom's strong desire to drive his truck. It was definately interesting.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glenna_T
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:54 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

Having a groom's cake is a Southern tradition that is becoming more common in all areas of the country. As mentioned, the groom's cake is often in the shape of something that is important to the groom. The last groom's cake that I saw had a logo of the groom's favorite hockey team on it. The groom's cake is often a different flavor than the wedding cake.

Traditionally, the earliest groom's cakes were fruit cake. It was cut into tiny squares and each guest took a piece home. The single ladies and men put their piece under their pillow and whoever they dreamed about was supposed to be the one that they would marry.