<  Destination & Long Distance Weddings  ~  save the date/invitation wording
schmoopy7
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

My finace and I are getting married in the Dominican Republic Jan 08. I have found from other member's postings that you should send the save the date and trip details 6 months prior and then invitations 6 weeks prior, but I didn't see any suggestions on how to properly word them.

Is it OK to buy matching stationary and actually type a blurb about what a destination wedding is, they pay for their own accomodations, give travel agent info, etc.? What is a good way to word it so that they know we don't expect them to come but would be honored to have their presence?

Also, we both are asking our immediate family and friends to depart no later than 2 days after the wedding so we can have a honey moon. How do you include this in the information letter so that the extended family will do the same without sounding rude?

Lastly, on the invitations, do you word it the same as a traditional wedding and assume that they will know why the place is in another country? Or do you put another enclosure or extra line on the invitation to explain that this is a destination wedding?
Glenna_T
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:57 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

If you word the save the date correctly, you won't need to tell your guests what to do. On the save the date you would begin by indicating that it is a save the date, then add your names, the date and the location, such as:

Save the Date!!

Susan Jones and John Doe
are excited to announce that
they will be getting married
June 16, 2006
in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

We would love for you join us. The wedding will be held at ____ and a block of rooms have been reserved there. For information on airlines and room reservations, please contact________

You don't have to tell people to go home two days later. If they indicate that they will stay longer, you and your groom can move to another nearby resort.

You also don't need to inform your guests of the mechanics of a destination wedding. If they don't know, they will ask. This may be particularly true for grandparents and other elderly guests.

You word the invitations the same as any wedding invitation. Because your guests have received a save the date, they will understand where the wedding is being held.
schmoopy7
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you for your help! I feel much more prepared now that I know what to include.