<  Traditions, Cultures & Customs  ~  Garter and Bouquet Toss, Looking for new ideas
transferred_files
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:02 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

My bride to be and I are the 4th couple in her family to be getting married this year. Three of us are using the same DJ for the reception, the problem is the families will have seen his routine for the tosses twice already. We are looking for new and unique ideas. Can anyone help.

thank you

transferred_files
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:03 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

You have several options with the tosses that we've taken from an article we wrote on our site located at:
http://www.foreverwed.com/music/bouquettoss.htm

Bouquet Toss Ideas

Can throw garter and bouquet at the same time.

To get the single women to come forward the DJ can try saying "All married women, please raise your hand. All women with hands down, please come out onto the dance floor."

Can get the single women in a circle around the bride, blindfold the bride and spin her around before tossing the bouquet.

Can put money (like $10 or $20 each) into garter and bouquet before throwing to entice people to come out for it.

Victorian tradition: having all the guests assemble for the toss. The bride or MC can preface the event by saying that in Victorian tradition, all the guests assembled for the throwing of the bouquet, and that they wished all of their loved ones to gather at the stairs/on the dance floor, etc. As the tradition goes, luck will come to the guest who catches the bouquet.

Toward the end of the evening, bride can make a short speech and present the bouquet to her mother.
Invite all the married women onto the dance floor. Now start eliminating them by asking "all those women married one year or less, please be seated" and working your way through until there only one woman left (besides the bride) on the floor. Find out how long she is married and then give her the bouquet.

A bride wrote in soc.couples.wedding: I watched a documentary on television about Finnish wedding customs and in one wedding all of the available women formed a circle around the bride (who was blindfolded). The bride spun in one direction (slowly) and the women walked (holding hands) in the opposite direction. At some point everyone stops and the bride hands the bouquet to the person who is facing her. I suppose it would work better for smaller groups of people. The whole idea seemed more calm to me than the traditional "women fight for the bouquet" sort of thing I’ve been subjected to

for more ideas go to http://www.foreverwed.com/music/

you will find a complete list of ideas at our site

Hope this information helps..
Deborah